We all, (the human race) have one thing in common and that is that we all just want to be HAPPY. We may not agree on politics or share the same cultural beliefs and values but at the end of the day, we all want the same thing and that is H-A-P-P-I-N-E-S-S.
Fortunately, its available to everyone and the universe holds it for us all...
It's easy to get swept up in the hustle of life and non-sexy responsibilities and lose sight of the bright side. Here are multiple ways, natural and FREE to stay on your HAPPINESS GAME:
1. Expect CHANGE and embrace it. There's always a plus side to every circumstance or rainy day. Find the bright side. (IE) If you're snowed in, relish in the free day....enjoy your jammies and make a beautiful meal.
2. Get more sleep. Rested people are happy people. Rest when you can. Nap when you can. Research proves SLEEP is vital for our health and happiness.
4. Let sunshine in your bedroom. Dawn stimulation can literally brighten your entire day. Morning sunlight is a natural mood booster. Try to get 15 minutes, whether your stretching, snuggling, or reading.
5. Love-up a furry friend...Petting a pup for "just 15 minutes releases the feel-good hormones serotonin, prolactin, and oxytocin, and lowers the stress hormone cortisol, a University of Missouri–Columbia study says". Give your four legged lovies some smoochies.
Fake it if you have to but smiling activates the brain's happiness command center...plus everybody's cuter when they smile! Smiling is contagious too so SMILE at everybody!
7. Sing a song...even you cant carry a tune...sing in the shower, in your car, karaoke with friends. There's an organ in your inner ear that may register pleasure with singing!
8. Touch. Touch and be touched. "Human touch releases uplifting endorphins like serotonin, and reduces blood pressure and heart rate."-North Carolina Chapel Hill Study
Just as infants need touch, adults do too, desperately. "Researchers have been discovering how emphasizing skin-to-skin contact between baby and parent can be a boon to both and how consistent emotional engagement with infants can speed their development and recognition of self."-Scientific American
Why our culture assumes just because we gain years that we still don't need as much touch and contact is crazy. I squeeze and pinch and hug every body I talk to. I adjust and assist all of my Yoga clients during class and heavily in savasana...I'm told by my students, its their favorite part.
9. KISSING-Who doesn't love a smoochy smooch!? Kissing is magical when you're in love. Kissing burns calories, relaxes you, and even boosts immunities! SWAK!
Anthropologist Helen Fisher describes kissing as a “mate assessment tool.” Much of the cortex is devoted to picking up sensations from around the lips, cheeks, tongue and nose. Out of 12 cranial nerves, five of them are picking up the data from around the mouth. It is built to pick up the most sensitive feelings—the most intricate tastes and smells and touch and temperature. And when you’re kissing somebody, you can really hear them and see them and feel them. So kissing is not just kissing. It is a profound advertisement of who you are, what you want and what you can give.
Other researchers note that kissing is biology’s way of determining who in nature you are most genetically compatible with. “At the moment of the kiss, there are hard-wired mechanisms that assess health, reproductive status and genetic compatibility,” says Gordon G. Gallup Jr., a professor of evolutionary psychology at the State University of New York at Albany who studies reproductive competition and the biology of interpersonal attraction. “Therefore, what happens during that first kiss can be a make-or-break proposition.” -Melissa Noble for RD
You burn around 11 calories per minute on a treadmill but 2-6 calories French kissing...makeout time!:)
10. Socialization-Human Interaction and basic support goes a really long way. Whether your in your home or out on the town, socialization is vital. Laughing, conversing, crying, whatever. We need each other!